Thursday 1 March 2012

hello autumn...

Autumn is here and has definitely made itself known. The wind has been blowing a gale since yesterday and it has been rainy and cloudy too. Samuel says, "It's like pea soup out there". I wonder where this saying comes from? For the pea soup I make, is quite lovely actually and not like drizzle at all.
I do like Autumn, it's my most favourite season of all. I married Samuel in March, Huckle was born in April and our newest addition will arrive in May (if all goes to plan). So many things to love about this season.
It's a wonderful time of year for food too. Apples and pears are a plenty, the summer fruit and veggies are still cropping and soon there'll be pumpkins and all manner of wonderful things.
We purchased some apples from a local farmer at the market this past weekend. Her farm is just down the road from us, about 7k's away. They're as tart as can be, but perfect for crumble and the like. Huckle and I stewed some with blackberries this morning. He helped transfer the skins and cores to the compost bucket and helped himself to a bite here and there too. Half became crumble, which we gobbled up for dessert and the other has been squirreled away in the freezer for another day.
I can't wait for the height of pear season, I've been dreaming about eating this cake again.

 Do you favour Autumn too? Or are you sad to see Summer fade?

3 comments:

teddybearswednesday said...

No I much prefer Autumn, Autumn and spring are my favourite seasons, out of the two i can't pick a favourite.
But I will be sad to see the summer fruit grow. Tis such a pity that peaches aren't available all year round xo

Cat said...

You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of our country to get delicious fruit from your neighbours. Congratulations on expecting another little person in your family, it's not far away now you must all be very excited. I'm definitely not a Summer person, I like the cooler weather and rugging up to keep warm and cosy. I hope you've had a lovely weekend. xx

Megan said...

Definitely an Autumn girl. Crunchy leaves, sunny days with cool nights, rain, all good things!

I have fond memories of eating the apple peel from Mum's apple cooking too :)